About Us

About Us

Over the years, representatives from various Title IV-E child welfare educational partnerships discussed the pooling of data from these partnerships to develop a bigger, and eventually, a national picture of these partnerships. These discussions resulted in the formation of a National Title IV-E Child Welfare Evaluation Taskforce at the 2011 Council on Social Work Education Annual Program Meeting. Taskforce members called for a National IV-E Child Welfare Evaluation in which partnerships could contribute data for their program’s stipend recipients with a goal of building a national data set to better understand how Title IV-E stipend programs are structured, who stipend recipients are, and what we know about their use of the program. The following details procedures for participating programs.

The goal of the Taskforce is to implement the National IV-E Child Welfare Evaluation by developing a national data management system and managing data relating to graduates of Child Welfare Educational Partnerships. The data management system, found on this website, centralizes demographic and other data on Child Welfare Educational Partnership programs and their graduates, in an effort to develop a national picture of the workforce (e.g., who they are, where they are, how they are prepared for child welfare work, and how long they are staying).

The data management system sets the foundation for a future research efforts that will include more complex analysis of student/alumni data, with the ultimate goal of a multi-state Title IV-E outcome study.

Participating Schools by Federal Region

Individual programs will not be identified until a minimum of two programs per region are participating.

Minnesota State University Moorhead
The Minnesota State University Moorhead School of Social Work educates competent entry-level social work professionals with the core knowledge, values, and skills necessary to engage in ethical and empowerment-based generalist practice with all people in a dynamic and diverse society.

St. Cloud State University
The St. Cloud State University Department of Social Work prepares to think critically, and work effectively and collaboratively in the professional world of social services.

University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota School of Social Work, Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare brings together county, tribal, state, and community services in a partnership dedicated to improving the lives of children and families involved in public child welfare by focusing its efforts around three primary areas: Professional Education, Outreach, and Research & Evaluation.

Winona State University
The Winona State University Social Work Department focuses on community engaged learning activities in the classroom. Throughout the major, students learn the values, skills, and knowledge necessary to be generalist social work practitioners.

What is IV-E?

The federal Social Security Act Title IV-E funds subsidize child welfare services to keep children in their families when possible, provide permanency planning services, and place children in out-of-home care. Public child welfare services are those provided by state or county child protection, foster care, adoption, and family service agencies. Title IV-E funds may also be used to strengthen child welfare service systems through the training and education of current and potential child welfare workers who serve families and children eligible for Title IV-E services.

Title IV-E Child Welfare education programs operate at the BSW and MSW levels and support students at public universities by providing financial and educational resources to students committed to post-graduate careers in public or tribal child welfare. Primary elements of Title IV-E funding to students include: financial support (stipends), educational/programmatic expectations and requirements, an employment obligation, and career development and support.

How to Participate

Interested in contributing your school’s data to the National Title IV-E Data Warehouse?

the DataWarehouse
User Guide


Contact the Data Manager
to create a school profile:
call 612-625-2051.


the MOA Template. Start
the data sharing process
by completing an MOA.


Questions? The Data Manager can answer questions and provide schools with technical assistance.
Email the Data Manager, CASCW, or call (612) 624-4231.